What to do before your NCT Booking
- Clean your car! It sounds simple, but this is often overlooked. Clean the inside and outside of your vehicle, as the inspector can refuse to test your vehicle if it is too dirty. Pay close attention to your registration plates, mirrors, headlights and wipers before you go. These will be checked and can lead to a failure of the NCT Ireland if not in proper working order. Remove personal items from your vehicle before arriving at the testing centre.
- Empty the boot and make sure the inspector will have access to the spare tyre. Also, make sure the spare is properly inflated.
- Check all fluid levels. Make sure you have proper levels of washer fluid, engine oil, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid.
- Make sure all seat belts are working and that the clips are visible to the inspector.
- Check your bodywork. Make sure the boot and bonnet close securely and see that there is no visible rust on your vehicle's body.
- Inspect your tyres. Make sure you have the required tread depth of 1.6 MM and that all tyres are correctly inflated. You may have to remove your wheel hubcaps if the lug nuts are not visible.
- Make sure the horn and handbrake are working correctly and that no damage is visible on any of the auto glass.
- Ensure there are no warning lights on when you take the vehicle to the test site, as this will increase the odds of a failed test.
- Make sure all your headlights, brake lights and turn signals are in proper working order.